Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Apple Sauce



I generally prefer to freeze vegetables and can fruit. (Tomato juice is a fruit). Yesterday and today I canned the last (I hope) of the apple sauce for this year. This brings me up to 26 quarts of apple sauce. Yesterday I did some Ida Red apples we bought over north of Spokane and today I did some Granny Smiths that Jennie bought for cheap at the fruit stand. The later are from New Zealand and were starting to go bad -- probably last spring's harvest. I use a Squeezo food strainer for making apple sauce. I did 9 quarts today in about 2 hours. I bought my squeezo about 35 years ago and it has never failed me. I still have all the original parts. I could use a new o-ring but the old one probably has a few good years left. I use Bell jars and lids and process the jars at 10 pounds pressure for 10 minutes in a Presto canner that I have also had for 35 years. As you might guess, this is a very satisfying activity for me. I hope -- but don't really expect -- that everyone will rave about the apple sauce at our Thanksgiving meal. This year I am expanding my repertoire and also making two pumpkin pies and an Asian pear pie.

1 comment:

  1. Superb document! Appreciate it intended for positioning that in concert! It is definitely just one good write-up. Appreciate it with the precious facts in addition to skills you could have and so presented in this article. Appreciate it with the pleasant blog site. It had been handy in my opinion. Now I am delighted I stumbled upon your blog. Appreciate it intended for giving with us. At this point simply click here Check Cashing Lemon-Grove When I far too generally study anything completely new through your write-up.

    ReplyDelete