Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Two books and a video

Lately I have been reading two books about food and gardening. The Omnivores Dilemma by Michael Pollan describes Industrial Agriculture and several alternatives thereto. Good reading. Growing Vegetables west of the Cascades by Steve Solomon is the best book I've ever read on our particular growing conditions. Neither of these books is new, but they are essential reading if you're interested in food.

Fresh is a new video based somewhat on The Omnivores Dilemma. However, it does add other material from such efforts as Growing Power. The Transition Everett group will be showing this video this fall. I will announce times here.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Steve Solomon: you are my hero. That books is awesome--I got my copy last fall and it's completely trashed now :) He's got another called "Gardening When it Counts" that's similar, but more geared toward really rough conditions and hard-core water conservation.

    If you like that Pollan book you might like "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver.

    ReplyDelete